1 Corinthians 9:19-27 (New International Version, ©2011)
Paul’s Use of His Freedom
19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
The Need for Self-Discipline
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
We are in a period of training - the prize will be that God uses us to witness to his love through the offering of hard work to build homes for those who have none. What will we be asked to grab a hold of, or let go of in order to train...purposefully...that our proclamation of the salvation through Jesus Christ is shared?
ReplyDeleteI'm praying for each on the team today.
I think this is really cool and I am glad Pete took my expert advice on how to create this blog and you can all enjoy the fruits of his labor. Yea, me, once again! This is Kentastic!!!!
ReplyDeleteOut of Kentrol...
ReplyDeleteAs I read this passage one of things that struck me was that we all run and therefore Paul's point is not really so much whether or not we run but how we run and what are we running towards. Persoannly then I need to make sure, according to Paul. my efforts are towards the right goal . . . taking the gospel to others. As a team we are heading off to a place most of us if not all of us are pretty unfamiiar with and a people we have no experience with and yet we bring the power of the gospel with us. A gospel that changes lives. I think the passage reminds me that we need to make sure our running is not in vain and I think the readings and prayers that Pete has set up for us before we go on the trip is a part of 'running well' and not 'boxing into thin air' but rather it prepares us to face the spiritual forces which would come against us on this trip. Paul has one focus and that is to bring the gospel to others and the only question is how will God use us to bring that gospel to Haiti and are we willing to be Christ's agents to do such a great and marvelous thing.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading your thoughts and reflections.
Ken
Personally, I need to work on my eyes focusing on the prize. Sometimes I know God is nudging me in my head to do something or say something for Him, and when I don't do it, I feel sooo awful! Its like I turned my back on the One who loves me more than anyone possibly could and said "No, God, I don't feel ready. Some other time." But that attitude is totally wrong because His timing is perfect, absolutely perfect, and who am I to say no? If I don't trust Him in the little, simple, everyday things, how in the world will I trust and obey Him in the bigger things?
ReplyDeleteBut He is the essence of Love and He gives second chances, which I'm so grateful for. Where would I be without Him? So I get up and dust myself off(again) and focus on the prize, giving Him all of me and soaking up His love.
And a really good song to listen to which speaks to me every single time is "You Are Everything" by Matthew West. Listen to it; its good!
The thing that really struck me about this passage was the first part, the part about becoming like the people you're witnessing to in order to reach them. We can't all go to Haiti and be all stuck up Americans. We have to except the Haitian way of doing things, we have to accept their traditions and culture while we're there. Being absolutely certain that the American way of doing things is better will not help us. We will have to focus on accepting the Haitian way, no matter how strange it seems to us, because we have come to them and Paul says we must become like them to witness to them.
ReplyDeleteI write this post 30 hour famine so that experience influences what I took out of the passage. As I was fasting yesterday (definitely not my favorite spiritual discipline) I couldn't help but think of my students. The pains, the tiredness, the headaches, the inability to sleep for more than an hour... everything I was feeling is the norm for many of my students. Then once I got food this morning, my body took a while to adjust. I was tired, really ADHD and kinda nauseous.
ReplyDeleteThough I have never known what true food insecurity feels like, becoming like my students, even for a short time, has taught me a lot about what I need to do as their teacher. I am better equipped to deal with some of the uglier natures of my profession.
Though we probably will never able to truly become like the Haitians because our backgrounds couldn't be more different, we need to try our best of be on their level to and bring the word of God to them in a way that they understand. As we learn about their culture and eventually interact with them it is us that will have to be uncomfortable, and us that should meet them where they are.
Only when we meet them where they are will they be able to hear what we have to say.
From Jeff K, as he continues to figure out how to post comments...(PS)
ReplyDelete( 1 Cor 9) Mary and I visited Chiapas last summer. After arrival we had the priveledge to meet Ruben in Tuxla Gutierez. Ruben is one of those guys you immediatly take a liking to. He had some great Spanish Christian music he played on his car casette player, (remeber those?) that he introduced me to. (Marcos Witt). Any way, this pastry chef was is a recent convert to Christianity. He made a simple statement to Mary and I..."if I am going to do anything for the Lord - I should do it at 150%" It stuck with us! vs. 24 and 25 of 1 Cor 9 reminded me that God just doesn't want the portion we are willing to give up _ He wants our best. This trip to Chiapas will take 150% of our best efforts!
Posted by Heffe at 10:24 AM